This year has been a wonderful experience. We have had quite some adventures. Been to three international destinations and several local destinations. Organising all of that was not easy, the hardest part was finding the right accomodation. The experience though has enabled us to recommend the only 2 sites with android and ios apps that you really need to get organized, both include traveler reviews, prices, availability, contacts and maps.
1. http://booking.com: this site is better than any other booking site we have used – AirBnB, hostelworld, hotelbooking; they have the most extensive accomodation coverage and it is very easy to use. The app still needs some working on but their mobile site is a simple joy.
booking.com have listed the following reasons why you need to use them.
We feel you need to use these guys because they have good coverage and it is a nice place to start to get an idea of what is available and what you should expect to spend. If you own an accomodation facility, you need to list it here!
Did we mention that they have great social media content?
2. http://tripadvisor.com : their app is the best traveling app out there – not tripit, not lonelyplanet, not triposo. The great thing about the guys behind this platform is that they keep adding functionality; you can find hotel and flight deals plus attractions and things to do in one site. Hotel owners have deals that are specific for tripadvisor so keep an eye for those.
Travel smart tips:
– Use the two sites together: search the same accomodation on both sites, sometimes the hotel owners have deals that are specific for each site and one might be better than the other.
– Never forget to search the specific hotel websites, sometimes you can score a deal by booking directly on their site.
– Call the hotels if their numbers are available: sometimes you can negotiate a better deal; booking.com charges hotels 10% for every booking made through them so negotiating after confirming your booking through the site may be fruitless.
– Traveling sites are useful to help you get the idea of what to expect but the best way to get an accomodation that is within your budget is to ask the locals, there is always something cheaper out there.